Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Taste of Belgium Serves Winning Brunch


        I know you think of it as “the waffle place,” and it’s true.  Their waffles are amazing and even better when they serve them warm with berries and fresh whipped cream, or with bananas and Nutella.  However, there is way more going on at Taste of Belgium than their waffles, and I highly recommend going there for weekend brunch.  

To start, they really have incredible coffee.  It’s always just the right intensity and really hits the spot on a weekend morning after a long night out.  They also serve traditional breakfast cocktails, like mimosas. They make wonderful crepes with fresh ingredients, which are great for a light morning meal.  The lavender sugar and lemon crepe is an excellent adventure, but it's not for everyone.

Another delicious option is the Mitraillette, which is a lamb sausage sandwich on a baguette, with chipotle mayo and served with frites (fries).  All of their sandwiches are very fresh. But if you know me at all, you know that I like my breakfast late and heavy.  And that’s where the Goetta Hash comes into play.  It’s delicious.  I don’t care if you think you don’t like goetta, you have to order this hash.  It comes in a bowl with a fried egg on top, which makes this wonderful creaminess when everything is mixed together along with the onions, peppers, and cheese and it reminds you of what morning must have looked like growing up on a farm with a mother who loved you and had growing boys to feed.  I’m telling you, I wish I were a growing boy with unclog-able arteries so that I could eat a breakfast like this every morning.  

If that isn’t enough to satisfy your appetite, try the Brunch Burger, a big piece of beef, covered with a slice of cheese, bacon, a fried egg, and a pancake, all smothered with local maple syrup within a hamburger bun and served with frites.  The sweet and salty savory combination is incredibly rich and really only appropriate for brunch. I promise I strive to be an everyday vegetarian, but this place always tempts me out of my PETA-approved weekday diet into a shameless carnivorian frenzy. Rest assured, eco-minded among you, their meat it locally sourced. I could never eat it as part of a guilt-free, three meal day. This is something I would love to re-create at home, especially for kids, or in a smaller slider version for a late-night Saturday snack.  

     Taste of Belgium is definitely one of my first choices for brunch.  I like to sit outside to people-watch, but their shared chef's table also offers a unique dining experience. Arrive early.  They fill up fast.    

No comments:

Post a Comment